Join us July 27 for a half day workshop – Improving Highway Safety with ITS
8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (coffee and bagels at 8:00, lunch served at 12:30)
GDOT General Office
600 West Peachtree St NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
ITS and Safety Professionals, including planners, operators, designers, emergency management, and maintenance personnel should attend this workshop to learn about the opportunities to improve highway safety through the deployment of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and connected vehicle technologies. The course will address considering ITS within the Safety Planning Process and point out commonality and potential collaboration between ITS and safety personnel.
The course introduces ITS and connected vehicle based strategies and tools available for improving highway safety and recognizing their contribution to making highways safer. Examples from the field will be provided to illustrate how peers have developed solutions and strategies to address key safety challenges. The course also draws from participants’ own experiences deploying ITS for highway safety improvements to identify and discuss sources of challenges, successes, and opportunities for collaboration. Resources and tools will be discussed to encourage participants to explore and learn more about these topics after the workshop.
Upon completion of the course, participants will have:
- Reviewed the overall magnitude and consequences of the highway safety problem and discussed participants’ highway safety challenges and triumphs.
- Identified general uses of ITS and emerging uses of connected vehicle technology to improve highway safety.
- Identified and demonstrated how ITS can contribute to improved highway safety and traffic operations through discussion and activities.
- Identified and discussed the current status of highway safety and the need to continuously improve highway safety programs.
- Identified and discussed ITS-supported countermeasures that can be employed to address highway safety priority areas identified in the participant’s jurisdictions.
- Identified and discussed organizational and individual-level actions for potential ITS and Safety collaboration in the future at the planning level and necessary activities to enable the actions.
- Identified several resources for ITS and Safety information.
** This course has be revised to reflect FHWA’s Focused Approach to Safety Program and how to consider ITS Technologies within the Safety Planning Process.